Call Us today
(810)605-5555, (855) 313-BAIL(2245)


Your Options for Bail Bonds in Detroit

Detroit Jail

Posted 8 years ago by Detroit Bail Bonds

If someone you know has been arrested in the big city and needs your help, you need to know your options for bail bonds in Detroit. You will need to know which agency to use, what types of payment plans are available, and how to go about helping the friend or family member.

Types of Bonds

Overall, there are several types of bonds depending on the crime and the jurisdiction.

According to the State of Michigan’s One Court of Justice site, posting a bond is a promise that the defendant will appear in court and will refrain from any activity the judge orders.

Three types of bonds are a cash bond, a 10 percent bond, and a surety bond.

• A cash bond is a money guarantee that the defendant will return to court when required. When a cash bond is set, the defendant must pay the full bail amount to the court before being released from jail.

In a 10-percent bond, the court will accept payment of 10 percent of the full bail amount as a guarantee that the defendant will appear as required. If the defendant does not appear, the court will require payment of the remaining 90 percent.

A surety bond is a promise made by an approved bondsman that the defendant will appear as required. A bondsman must prove to the court that he or she has sufficient financial resources to pay the full bail amount if the defendant does not appear as required.

According to, in a surety bond, 10 percent of the total bail is paid directly to the court.

In some cases, the person who was arrested is allowed to leave with only a written guarantee that he or she will return for court proceedings, known as “personal recognizance.”

Your Options for Bail Bonds in DetroitAlso according to, before agreeing to a personal recognizance bond, a judge usually looks at factors including the severity of the crime; the person’s ties to the community; personal reputation; whether the accused can afford bail; and whether it’s beneficial for the person to return to his or her family, friends, and job.

Your Options for Bail Bonds in Detroit Regarding Payment

Bail amounts set by the court cannot be negotiated by a bail bondsman. The only person who can adjust your bail amount is the judge. Bail bond companies can be paid in cash or in many cases by credit card. At Detroit Bail Bonds, for example, you can even pay over the phone.

Resources for information

A variety of resources are available to answer your questions about your options for bail bonds in Detroit.

The Michigan Supreme Court’s website offers a wealth of information for the general public and legal community.

Another source of information is the State Bar of Michigan’s online legal resource center.

Choosing the Right Bail Bond Agency

If you do work with a bail bond agency, it is important that its representative has experience helping others in that community. The bail bondsman should also be knowledgeable about local laws so as to best serve the defendant and his or her family.

If you need more information about your options for bail bonds in Detroit, contact us at any time at 313-244-0669.

Your Options for Bail bonds in Detroit

Leave a Comment